Thursday, December 10, 2009

Insure your jewelry!

Okay... I had to take a little break from the blog for a bit because I had to clear my head before I could write about this. I think I am finally at that point.

I came home Thanksgiving night to a burglar in my apartment. I opened the door and noticed the lights on. That seemed strange seeing I am a stickler for turning off lights. So I stood in the doorway and shut off the hall light. That was when I saw the upstairs lights on and heard a rustling sound. For a very brief moment, I thought there was a squirrel in my apartment... but then I realized squirrels can't turn on lights. So I shouted up and then started screaming bloody murder.

When the police arrived, we saw how they got in. And slowly I started noticing what they took. Prescriptions, jewelry, bank information, etc. Sadly enough, I realize more and more things that are missing everyday.

Where am I going with this? Well, it seems that our insurance wasn't in order. We had renters insurance... that part was done. But the next part, and most important, wasn't. Our insurance required us to provide an itemized list of everything we wanted covered (this detail was buried in the paperwork.)

This is a total miscommunication between me and Sal. I never wear jewelry and always say I don't have any... he took this as me saying 'I have no jewelry.' The truth is, I had lots of jewelry. Pieces I had made in my jewelry training, some I had made just because, some that belonged to family members, some gifts... and none of it was on the list. So we will get a lump sum from the insurance (a fraction of the loss.)

It was an expensive lesson. But my mistakes are your gains. Take a lesson from me to take stock of the precious things in your home. Whether it is electronics, jewelry, music/movie collection... just take a day and inventory everything. Even photograph special items as proof. And remember... even the small things add up quickly.

Now... if you are a past client of mine, and you need a receipt for one of your pieces, drop me a note and I will send you a copy.

Overall, I just keep reminding myself that I didn't get hurt and things can be replaced. And I hold out hope that they catch this person that decided it was a good idea to go shopping in my home.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page