Thursday, March 08, 2007

ideas of beauty...

So, as I walked around Milan, I saw some beautiful people. Long dark hair, olive skin, dark eyes... even though many of them were hidden under GIGANTIC Gucci sunglasses... and lots of healthy body shapes. And when I say healthy body shapes, I mean things like the women (not the teenagers) have curves... unlike most the the French women I come across. It's the life of growing up with pasta.

Even Sophia Lauren, when speaking about her own figure, was quoted saying 'Everything you see, I owe to spaghetti.'

But as I walked through the Galleria, I saw this...




I was horrified. Because there I am, in the land of the beautiful people... and there is this freekish 6 foot tall, body like a 10 year old boy, bottle blond! She sat at her vanity (called that for a reason, huh?) putting on her makeup, then would stand and just look out over the crowd... with a glazed look on her face... giving the 'Queen of England' wave, while not making any eye contact. Basically, she was the perfect doll... empty headed and looking like plastic.

I'm sorry if this all sounds harsh, but I was not the only one thinking this. Even though my Italian is quite rusty, if I listen carefully, I can pick up about 80% of what was said. And I heard from most, especially the men, that she was fun to look at... but at the end of the day, she wouldn't be the one that they would want to take home.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page