Wednesday, March 14, 2007

oh no... my last blog entry from paris...

Yup... you guessed it... today is my last day in Paris. I fly out tomorrow around 1 PM back to the States.

So, I've been trying to make the most of my last few days here. Yesterday, my friend Seb and I went to the Catacombs. OOOOO... scary! Well, not really... it's just kinda creepy but really really insane to think about how many people are down there. Millions!


The story behind the catacombs seems to be that in 1786 they began moving bones from different grave yards in Paris, because of sicknesses and deaths caused by unhygenic conditions of the grave yards, and filled the depleted quarries under the city. It took 15 months to clear the first grave yard... because they had to work at night and transport the rotting corpses and bones in huge carts.

Then just before the Revolution, Comte d'Artois (later Charles X) threw huge parties in the catacombs for the fancy schmancy types... mmmm... interesting!

But during the tour, you only get to see a small part... there is actually 186 miles of tunnels! But what you do see is rather impressive. This is a wall of larger bones, one on top of the other, with the skulls forming a pretty little heart...

And this is just for you to see how massive it is... I know it's hard to see... but the pile of bones just keeps going and going and going...

Insanity!

Okay... well, I just wanted to take a minute to say thanks to all of you that peeked at my blog most days to see where I was. It's been delightful! But I must return home, and start making some money!!!

In a week or two, you will start seeing the normal blog stuff again... work... and photos of my dogs! (I miss my dogs!)

So with this... I will leave you with the words of 'My Way' by Frank Sinatra...

And now, the end is here
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and ev'ry highway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way!

See you all on the other side of the pond!

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page