Friday, November 09, 2007

all over the map...

Well, I've been running around the week. Between finishing jobs, still trying to unpack and get settled, Whoopi (my long haired wiener dog) has been sick, a teeth cleaning at the dentist, check up at the dr's... and it goes on and on! Now, when I'm running around like this... my head gets cloudy. I just can't concentrate on small tasks... like designing for a client.

I have been trying to work on designs for a client for the past couple of weeks... and I just can't seem to get them on paper! I have some great ideas... but they just aren't translating well!!! I'm calling it 'jewelers block.'

Well, the client just had to tell me one fact to get the ideas flowing. I don't know if he likes the idea... and I probably have to keep working on more designs... but I'm just happy to get something on paper. And, who knows, if he doesn't like it... I may just make it anyway!!!

The client mentioned something about a compass, a pink sapphire, recycling some gold and a couple of diamonds... and it triggered this...

I found this image online... and I LOVE IT...


It's the compass rose from a map of Scotland from 1840.

So, I came up with a ring that I think would be so much fun to build...

The compass would be Yellow gold (the sapphire set in the middle) which will be soldered into the head of the ring that is White gold. Then the long line leading to the fleurs de lis would be inlayed yellow gold. And finally, the fleurs de lis would be yellow gold soldered into the white. Both the fleurs de lis and the compass rose would be 3d and have stones set in them.

Like I said... not sure if the client will feel it... but I'm just happy to get some thought on paper! Hopefully, more will be on the way!

1 comment:

kelmurphy said...

When do we get to see the finish? I LOVE compasses!

Locations of visitors to this page