Monday, March 24, 2008

tater cat

Back when I lived in Italy, I decided to take some cooking classes. Each week we would make something different... typical Tuscan meals. Well, one day I looked at the menu for that evening's class... and I saw Gatto di Patate. Cat of Potato? I was so confused and scared! We were cooking cat?!?!?

Well, I quickly learned the cat is 'gato' and casserole is 'gatto.' Hehehehe. But I still lovingly call it tater cat or heart attack pie. But either way, it is damn good! And I make it every year for Easter. So, I thought I would share this recipe with all of you!

Gatto di Patate *** Tater Cat

Serves 6

  • 3 lbs floury potatoes
  • salt
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup provolone cheese, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1/3 cup mortadella, chopped
  • 1/3 cup salami, chopped
  • 1/4 cup proscuitto, chopped
  • 1/3 cup butter, cut into pieces (set aside 2 tbs, shaved)
  • 4 egg yolks
  • ground pepper
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • breadcrumbs (if you don't make your own, try the ones with Italian seasoning)

Peel the potatoes, cut them in large pieces and boil them in salted water till soft; drain and rice (or mash, if no ricer is available.) Mix the potatoes, cheeses, meats, butter, egg yolks and season with sal pepper and nutmeg. Butter a deep oven-proof dish and dust with breadcrumbs. Spread mixture in dish, sprinkle the top with butter shavings, breadcrumbs and a little shaved parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes… or until golden. Serve hot.

Oh... and I'm going to try to hit yoga 4-5 times this week to work this off!

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page