Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Tempest


On this past weekend, Sal and I, along with 2 dear friends, Terry and Hilary, went to see The Tempest at the Cambridge Multicultural Center.

I'm going to be honest, I was a bit hesitant when Terry suggested seeing something Shakespeare... because my experiences with Shakespeare have been limited and, honestly, not that great. Basically, from my introduction to these plays, my feelings were more of pain and anguish than interest.

I just remember standing in front of Ms McGuire's sophomore English class being forced to read the part of Witch #3 in Macbeth...

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

... just saying the lines with annoyance for being forced to wear a witch's hat and stir an imaginary caldron with my imaginary stick. It was not entertaining for me or anybody watching.

But I had no clue that Shakespeare could actually be enjoyable... and humorous! The production we saw was delightful! The characters so animated, the timing was wonderful... and their use of the space (the floor, the stage, the balcony above, etc.) was beautifully choreographed! So, I highly recommend!

Then we retired to our home for a nice dinner and delicious conversation. Just very comfortable. A quiet dinner and good friends... what else could you ask for?

Well... It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown is on. Ahhh.. I love this stuff. The old Charlie Brown holiday shows... the new ones are just wrong. I relate to Snoopy... completely self absorbed in his imaginary world (does that make Sal my Woodstock?) But it is ironic, because my copy of Schulz and Peanuts; A Biography just came in today. I'm only on page 20 or so (started reading it on the train) and I'm already hooked. Maybe I'll give you a book report when I'm done!

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page