Wednesday, September 03, 2008

the glass i almost died for... literally!

I recently took a trip down to Putnam, CT visit some dear friends and pop into a couple of antique shops (just in case I came across a new tea set... because I have a dish buying issue.) Well, I came across a shop that had a very interesting character for an owner. I won't get into it fully... but he seemed to have LOTS of stories.

Well, he showed me these 'semi precious' stones that came from the late 1800's - early 1900's. They were the salesmen samples, so they were the best of the best because they were the example to sell from... and no two were alike. The stones came from a company from New York called Albert Lorsch & Co., on 5th Ave (there was some packaging with it, but I wasn't allowed to take it.) But when they say semi-precious they mean glass or porcelain... actually, the only information I could find about the company online was that they were sued by the United States over tariffs on 'imitation precious' stones... I have a feeling that was the beginning of the end for the company.

The 'stones' are amazingly cool! This first is a Greek style woman in cut Czech glass that is just over 1.5 inches in amethyst purple...


... this is hand painted porcelain black and gold, just over 1.75 inches tall, Asian motif...


... and this is one of my favorites! Jade green glass with a stamped Art Nouveau woman...


... now I found the same in a dark purple... but it has a small flaw in it that it looks like her throat was slashed (I guess there's a smidgen of goth girl in me!)...


... and finally, the wiener dog portrait! This will become a pendant for my mother. Seriously, how could I not get a wiener dog!


Now, the whole time I was in there, the gentleman that owned the store was... well... a bit scary to say the least. But the scariest point was when I realized he (1) locked me in the store alone with him and (2) gave me a bone crushing hug, pinning my arms down. I honestly had a brief moment of fear with thoughts of him killing me in the store... and I was prepared him in the family jewels and run. But, luckily, he let me go and unlocked the door.

See... I nearly died procuring for my craft!

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page